In 1947, C. William (Bill) Woodford began his petroleum career as a marketer for a small Gulf Oil and Tire distributor in rural Elkins, WV. He had no idea that the business would eventually grow from serving just six counties to spanning six states.
Bill took control of the business in 1962. By this time, the business had grown into a multi-branded petroleum wholesaler, selling Shell, Texaco, Exxon, Marathon, Citgo, Mystik and all products related to the service station business.
Bill’s son, C. Curtis (Curt) Woodford, grew up learning the business from his father. He joined the company full-time in 1975 after graduating from college and has continued to operate and grow Woodford Oil into a company based on honesty, integrity, and reliability.
Bill passed away in 1997 but his business continued to thrive under Curt’s direction. Curt remodeled and modernized Woodford Oil’s original bulk plant in 1999, installing new tank farms and equipment, which made Woodford Oil as competitive as larger distributors.
Todd Woodford, the third generation of Woodfords, joined the company in 2003. He quickly rose through the ranks to become vice president and chief operating officer. His insight and leadership skills invigorated Woodford Oil as it prepared for expansion:
- In 2005, Woodford Oil acquired the petroleum assets of J.D. Kiser, Inc. This family-owned distributorship, founded in 1941, was the leading supplier of fuels and lubricants to commercial and industrial customers throughout eastern Kentucky and southern West Virginia. The acquisition not only complemented Woodford Oil’s existing fuel operation, but also established Woodford Oil as a major distributor of lubricants throughout the Appalachian region.
- In 2006, Woodford Oil purchased the Hess Oil Company of Elkins, WV. Hess Oil, owned and operated by the Brown family, distributed the Exxon, Marathon, and BP brands to many dealers as well as serving the petroleum needs of commercial and residential customers throughout West Virginia.
- In 2008, Woodford Oil acquired Beckley Oil’s petroleum operation in Marlinton, WV. This acquisition gave Woodford Oil the opportunity to expand its distribution area.
- In 2013, Woodford Oil acquired Elite Petroleum of Danville, KY. This acquisition bolstered Woodford’s overall lubricants business as well extending Woodford’s market footprint into central KY.
- In 2015, Woodford Oil acquired Guttman Energy’s wholesale petroleum distribution business in West Virginia. This acquisition strengthened Woodford Oil’s product and service offerings to commercial, industrial and government customers in West Virginia and across Woodford’s entire six-state service area.
- In 2019, Woodford Oil expanded in the Tri-State area of northern West Virginia, southern Pennsylvania, and western Maryland by acquiring key assets from Ringer Oil, including a bulk fuel and lubricants plant in Markleysburg, PA. In a separate transaction, Woodford acquired the customer fuel account business of Brock Oil Co. in Morgantown, WV. Family-owned Brock Oil had serviced the Morgantown and Tri-State area since 1961, earning a proud reputation as a premier supplier of petroleum fuels to convenience store, commercial, and home heating oil customers.
LOCALLY OWNED, CUSTOMER-FOCUSED
Today, Woodford Oil Co. is one of the largest, independent, locally owned petroleum marketers in the industry, serving customers in West Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio, Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania.
We’re proud of our heritage, but we refuse to be complacent. We continue to work hard every day to improve our reputation for providing reliable, convenient service and value-priced products to all of our customers.
Contact us today for personalized service and the most competitive prices available.